Dear whoever is out there?
As a kid growing up, I thought my life would be perfect. No problems, having everything taken care for me by my family, constantly pampered and cared for, and lastly and most importantly, finding that moving on from a problem is… well, easy.
Seventeen. The perfect age in my opinion. Well not perfect, just pleasant. I mean, I don’t have the responsibilities my elder brothers and sisters have nor am I ignored because I’m still “too young”. Why is it that just by sharing a few of my ideas, people drift apart? Why is it that just because I like to think in my own way that doesn’t meet the expectations of others I should be treated harshly? Why? Why? WHY? My why and what’s could go on forever, but I’m sure I won’t get any answers.
Reading the book, Girls of Riyadh has opened many doors from me (ALMOST DONE!) I’ve come to see gender roles in a culture very similar to mine. I’ve come to understand that not all relationships between men and woman is in the end good for each side; although, I would argue that there are a few exceptions. In our society, when two people bond or “click”, people misinterpret that into a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, when in fact it is just an innocent interaction between two people. Those two may or may not be interested in each other and that doesn’t really matter. What matters is that they learn to interact innocently and appropriately in front of everyone without any secrets from the “people”. Another thing, really, who’s watching? People are too engaged with their own lives to even care about what you’re doing- unless you give them something to talk about. If two people engage in an innocent conversation, people (if anyone is watching) have nothing to say to that because it’s the 21st century. I mean, why is it so wrong for two people to talk? Can’t a man and a woman JUST be friends? Does everything have to be so complicated? I honestly don’t know. This is part of what the book disagrees about. It talks about how two people may only want to be friends but it suddenly turns into more or less depending on what people say. In one of the chapters, AlSanea talks about how people should just be! They shouldn’t care about what others say unless they know that they’re doing something wrong.
Going to a school where I have no choice but to interact with the boys around me, I have come to set boundaries with many, maybe even most of them. I really only feel comfortable with some, and I like it that way. Does that mean I go all crazy and talk to them every second of every day? No. Does that mean I get interested in them and want more? No. All I do is interacting with the people I feel I can learn from. I might not be aware of what it is I am learning, but I do believe that interaction- appropriate interaction with the opposite gender is crucial for a person who likes to stay open-minded to a certain extent. I’m not saying that it’s always a good thing, because it’s not; but if I set boundaries with guys, I will surely be happy with the results. No man will ever think of me in the wrong way, nor will be even try to. In the book though, it is slightly different, they go to an all girl’s school, but sneak around behind their family’s backs to meet men and to have inappropriate relationships, which is wrong.
Seriously, I have nothing more to say… BUT, a great book!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment